|The original 1931 church building that was located on the oceanside of
the highway in Waimea town.
|The laying of the cornerstone.
|1949 gathering of pastors from around Kauai.
|Rev. Okamoto's Family
|The church as it appeared in 1954 after having been relocated to higher
ground on Ola Road after the big flood of 1949. By this time two services,
Japanese and English, were being offered to a total average Sunday worship
attendance of 105. The church leased the new property from the Waimea Town
Hall Association (see the Town Hall in the foreground). The Town Hall was
used for Sunday school and fellowship. The average Sunday school attendance
|In 1955 when the church was looking for a new minister, he was offered
a total package of $300 a month, 5% pension annuity, a relatively new Plymouth
automobile, and the use of the church parsonage.
|The church as it was decorated for a wedding in the early 1950's. One
should note the cushion for kneeling on the chancel before the altar. Below
is the sign currently on the church building, displaying the significant
dates. Today the former Japanese congregation has merged with the former
Waimea Foreign Church and Hawaiian Church congregations to form in 1993 the
new Waimea United Church of Christ. This new church meets for worship at
the Old Stone Church.